Wotka World Wide

Sunday, July 27, 2008

I love sushi, but...

The world appetite for blue fin tuna is out of control, with Japan consuming 85% of the world's supply. The population could crash any year now, but no one seems worried, as long as they can catch them today. I love tuna as much as the next sushi lover, but I will have to make a point of restricting my consumption. Of course, I have planned to do the same thing with sea bass, but that isn't working out too well either. Still, Japan needs to chill out or we won't have good tuna for sushi in the near future. Too bad the governing bodies for international fishing can't make progress on this issue. Whales face the same problem, with Japan harvesting hundreds of whales on endangered species lists for "scientific purposes", which is code for they like to eat whale, and lots of it. They ignore all attempts to control their harvesting. Oh well, eat it while you can, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home