Wotka World Wide

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Global Warming as Mass Neurosis

Bret Stephens of the Wall Street Journal makes very cogent arguments in his opinion pieces. Here, he dredges into the cascade of global warming religiosity and proclaims himself an ardent secularist. As a skeptic myself, I see his points, but it often surprises me when I tell people I'm not overly concerned about global warming but I still believe in environmental conservation. I just don't think you can enforce any of this stuff they propose to halt the emissions of greenhouse gases(at least not in the US), but I still think an environmental outlook is beneficial. The auto industry has undergone significant pollution controls over the last twenty years, and all they get now is a demand from environmentalists to eliminate carbon emissions and a demand for electric car production, never mind that most major threats from the tailpipe have been drastically curtailed, at least in the US. Note also they have no plans to pay for these advances, as the taxpayers will just foot the bill. I've also always been struck by the fact that more pollutants are released into the atmosphere by one medium size volcanic eruption than it takes all of mankind to emit in four years. There is obviously some effect, but there are far too many errors that are ignored in the climate change calculations, since we don't really know exactly what has caused the earth's temperature to fluctuate over all these millions of years.
Any comments on the subject are welcome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home